jueves, diciembre 06, 2007

Amores que matan

-If I were in heaven, Nelly, I should be extremely miserable.
-Because you are not fit to go there, I answered. -All sinners would be miserable in heaven.
-But it is not for that. I dreamt once that I was there.
-I tell you I won´t hearken to your dreams, Miss Cathherine! I´ll go to bed, I interrupted again. She laughed, and held me down; for I made a motion to leave my chair.
-This is nothing, cried she. -I was only going to say that heaven did not seem to be my home; and I broke my heart with weeping to come back to earth; and the angels were so angry that they flung me out into the middle of the heath on the top of Wuthering Heights; where I woke sobbing for joy. That will do to explain my secret, as well as the other. I´ve no more business to marry Edgar Linton than I have to be in heaven; and if the wicked man in there had not thought of Heathcliff so low, I shouldn´t have thought of it. It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff now; so he shall never know how I love him: and that, not because he´s handsome, Nelly, but because he´s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same; and Linton´s is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.
Emily Bronté, Wuthering Heights
(-Yo sería muy desgraciada si estuviera en el cielo, Elena.
-Porque no es usted digna de ir a él- contesté-. Todos los pecadores serían muy desgraciados en el cielo.
-No es por eso. Una vez soñé que estaba en el cielo.
-Ya le he dicho, señorita, que no quiero enterarme de sus sueños. Voy a acostarme.
Se echó a reir y me obligó a permanecer sentada. -Pues soñé- dijo- que estaba en el cielo, que notaba y comprendía que aquello no era mi casa, que se me partía el corazón de tanto llorar por volver a la tierra, y que, al fin, los ángeles se enfadaron tanto, que me echaron fuera. Fui a caer en medio de Cumbres Borrascosas y me desperté llorando de alegría. Ahora, con esa explicación, podrás comprender mi secreto. Tanto interés tengo en casarme con Eduardo Linton como en ir al cielo, y si mi malvado hermano no hubiera tratado tan mal al pobre Heathcliff yo no habría pensado en ello nunca. Casarme con Heathcliff sería rebajarnos, pero el nunca llegará a saber cuánto le quiero, y no porque sea guapo, sino porque hay más de mi en él que en mí misma. No sé qué composición tendrán nuestras almas, pero sea lo que sea, la suya es igual a la mía, y en cambio la de Eduardo es tan diferente como el rayo lo es de la luz de la luna, o la nieve de la llama.)


No hay comentarios.: